Monday, January 7, 2013

Daddy is a Little Excited

I wrote Wes a letter with a poem from our baby. I folded it up and on the outside I wrote, "I love you twice as much as you love me. After all, I do get two votes." He read those words and the poem and then he saw the pregnancy test sitting under them. When he looked at me he had this amazed look in his eyes, and he asked me "what does this mean?" I told him, "This means we're going to have a baby." He was so happy and excited at first but then the nurse at my doctor's office told me that my progesterone was dangerously low and that miscarriage was not unlikely. The way she said it had me terrified and changed Wes from this excited daddy to someone who was scared to be happy. On the 12th of December  we had an ultra sound and got to see our little baby's heartbeat just thumping away on the screen. I had tears dripping out of my own eyes but I didn't expect to see them in his. Since then, he is so excited. He has been getting all kinds of Rock and Roll lullabies, he's constantly talking about the baby and about all the things he wants to do with him or her, and he was excited for our first trip to Baby's R Us. He has a joke, whenever anyone asks what gender we want the baby to be or if we are finding out, he tells them that it is a baby giraffe. So, whenever we go anywhere he wants to buy giraffe things for the baby. (I think he's secretly trying to trick me into a giraffe theme instead of my Harry Potter theme...sneaky daddy!). So far he has bought a giraffe stuffed animal, a plastic giraffe, and a hand painted ceramic giraffe piggy bank. He's so proud of it and he's so happy. It really melts my heart to see the way he looks when he talks about our baby, the feeling when he lays his hand on my stomach and tells me he loves me, and the sense of pride when he talks about how he can't wait for August to come. I am so lucky to have this man beside me and our child is SO lucky to have him as a daddy. He is all about our water birth plan, he's so supportive of breast feeding, he is on board with cloth diapering, and we are on the same page with every parenting issue that we've discussed. I can't say enough about how wonderful he is and how supportive he's been. Since Thanksgiving I have spent so much time vomiting or sleeping that I have done no house work, every night he goes to work and every day he takes care of me, cleans the house and takes care of the dogs (as a side note, I am praying that the second trimester is kinder to me than the first has been so that he can get a break and I can get out of bed without wanting to cry). He is so much more than my husband, he's my best friend, my soul mate, and he's a great father. <3 

:)  Here's to praying that the next 7 months are a time of preparation and joy <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment